Affording Your Visit
Don’t let the cost of health services keep you from visiting a clinic.
If you don’t have insurance and can’t pay on your own:
- Maine’s family planning clinics have a sliding fee scale program for many sexual health services like pregnancy tests, prescription birth control, STD testing and treatment, and counseling. This means we charge less to people who have less money. Title X, which is the source of family planning funding, does not pay for abortions or prenatal and maternity care. Find a family planning clinic near you.
- MaineCare pays for pregnancy-related care if your income is very low.
If you have health insurance:
- It probably pays for prenatal care, maternity services, and abortion. You will have to check your policy or call the company to make sure.
- Either through your job – or your parent’s job – and it covers prescription drugs, then it should cover prescription birth control like pills, shots, and diaphragms.
- If you use your parent’s insurance, or go to a family doctor, your family could find out. If you don’t want them to know, ask ahead of time about confidentiality (what they will or won’t keep private).
Again, don’t let worries about cost keep you from visiting a family planning clinic. We will work with you to make your health care affordable.
Comments are closed.